Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55 Muffler Bolt Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 55 Muffler Bolt Pattern

I have an DLE 55 rear exhaust that I'm trying to buy a muffler for. I purchased a new one, but that bolt pattern is 42mm center to center and my DLE has a center to center measurement of 40mm. Does anyone still make exhausts that will fit an older DLE?

Thank you
Old 09-08-2024, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you looking for a muffler other than the stock DLE RE one? The stock mufflers are readily available.
Old 09-09-2024, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Are you looking for a muffler other than the stock DLE RE one? The stock mufflers are readily available.
I purchased a DLE rear exhaust muffler from Horizon
(DLEG5731) and the mounting pattern is wider than the pattern on my engine. My engine is 40mm center to center and the mounting pattern on the new DLE rear exhaust muffler is 42mm.

Old 09-09-2024, 09:35 AM

Oh MY!!!! You have way more of a problem there than just the muffler fit! That is the standard side exhaust DLE55 engine that someone has turned the cylinder 90 degrees so the exhaust points to the rear. That simply will not work as the piston / cylinder assembly is not designed to work that way. If there has not been any internal damage, you could just turn the cylinder back to the side exhaust configuration and run it that way. If it has been run at all in that configuration, I suspect the piston and cylinder might be junk now.

The side exhaust 55 and rear exhaust 55 are completely different engines and very few parts interchange between them.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Oh MY!!!! You have way more of a problem there than just the muffler fit! That is the standard side exhaust DLE55 engine that someone has turned the cylinder 90 degrees so the exhaust points to the rear. That simply will not work as the piston / cylinder assembly is not designed to work that way. If there has not been any internal damage, you could just turn the cylinder back to the side exhaust configuration and run it that way. If it has been run at all in that configuration, I suspect the piston and cylinder might be junk now.

The side exhaust 55 and rear exhaust 55 are completely different engines and very few parts interchange between them.
Thank you for responding. I will remove the head and check this evening. Are all side exhaust 40mm and rear exhaust 42mm?
Old 09-09-2024, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by seatown16
Thank you for responding. I will remove the head and check this evening. Are all side exhaust 40mm and rear exhaust 42mm?
I don't have a RE cylinder here to measure but can confirm the side exhaust bolt spacing @ 40mm. If you need confirmation for the two different engine cylinders .... go to any parts source that has photos such as Tower or Valley View RC. You will see the base flange on the side exhaust engine is square where the RE cylinder has curved flanges. Look at photos of the base flange gaskets for further confirmation. The square base was easy to pick out in your photo.
Old 09-11-2024, 01:15 PM

Any updates?